In preparation for Valentine’s Day, Deepty Mundhra shares her recipes – a three-course meal, made with ingredients available in most Swiss supermarkets.
Deepty remembers being fascinated by Valentine’s day as a teenager. After her marriage, she began celebrating this day in a very special way, and later after her children came along, the festival took on new meaning as a family celebration.
The celebration may have changed over time, but one thing remained constant… the promise of a good meal on Valentine’s Day. Food has always been a passion for Deepty, and she loves to add a twist to her food and create something different.
Here is her take on a special Valentine’s Day meal that you can enjoy in the comforts of your home.
(All ingredients are sourced from local Swiss supermarkets).
Prepare all the ingredients much ahead of time, and on the D-Day, you could assemble all the ingredients, which would take less than 30 mins.
Course 1: Rosemary Basil Ginger Mimosa (Non-Alcoholic)
- 2 cups clear orange juice without any pulp (preferably store-bought)
- 500ml sparkling water or soda
- 1 teaspoon fresh orange zest
- 2 inch piece of fresh ginger, thinly sliced
- 4 to 5 sprigs of rosemary, washed and cleaned (save a sprig of rosemary to garnish)
- A few stems of basil leaves
- Ice (optional)
- Orange slices for garnishing
- Take a large bowl and add the orange juice, crush in 2 sprigs of rosemary with your hands and let it sit in the juice for 10 to 15 mins.
- Grate in the orange zest into the juice. Keep aside the same orange slices for the garnish.
- Crush the ginger with your fingers so that the juice is infused in the orange juice mix.
- Crush the basil leaves roughly using your hands and add in the orange juice. Let the whole thing rest for a couple of minutes more.
- Before serving, add in the soda or sparkling water to reduce the extra sweetness of the orange juice and to bring a balance of the infused herbs and the juice. Adjust the quantity as per your taste.
- Use a sieve and strain out the orange juice and mix into tall serving glasses.
- Add ice, as per your preference.
- Take a sprig of rosemary and add it to the glass, as a stirrer. The flavour of the rosemary infuses into the drink as you sip it.
Course 2: Savoury Red Velvet Fusion
Ingredients for the Crepes
- 1/4 cup all-purpose-flour
- 1/2 cup lukewarm water (to adjust consistency of the batter)
- 1 cup thick yoghurt
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- a pinch of baking powder (this increases the softness of the crepes)
- melted butter for brushing the pan
- A few drops of red food colour or any vegetable extract (you could use beetroot puree for red colour, spinach puree for green colour)
- salt to taste
- In a big bowl, bring in all the dry ingredients and then add the wet ingredients to it. Combine them well using just enough water to get a thin, crepe batter consistency.
- Allow the batter to rest for 20-30 mins. You could even make it in the morning and leave it aside for a longer time.
- Heat up a pan on low and brush some butter onto it to smoothen the surface. Pour a ladle of the batter and swirl around evenly and thinly.
- Flip it carefully using a Spatula and cook on the other side for 15 secs.
- Repeat the steps with the remaining batter.
- The crepes can be made ahead and stored in a closed box.
- Try the first crepe and adjust the thickness of the batter, checking to see if it’s too runny or too thick.
Ingredients for the filling
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 small cup diced green zucchini
- 1 small cup diced green capsicum / bell pepper
- 1 small cup broccoli lightly boiled florets
- 1/4 cup boiled corn
- 2 cups roughly chopped baby spinach
- Italian herbs mix as per taste
- Sliced green olives
- a pinch of sugar
- salt to taste
- red chilli flakes for spice or heat
- 1/2 cup cream at room temperature
- 1/4 cup grated cheese
- few teaspoons of milk to adjust consistency
- Heat oil in a large pan. Sautee the capsicum for few seconds until slightly soft (the capsicum should retain its crunch).
- Add the broccoli florets and cook for few additional seconds.
- Add in the zucchini and the spinach and cook for a minute until soft.
- Further, add in the boiled corn and the olives and cook for another few seconds.
- Add in the cream just to coat the veggies well and add seasoning of salt, a pinch of sugar and the spices to balance the taste. Adjust taste.
- At the end add the grated cheese. Add milk only if it needs to adjust the texture and consistency else can skip.
- Give it a good mix and remove from the pan.
Creamy Basil Coriander Drizzle
- 1/2 cup of Mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon yoghurt
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoon lemon juice
- a handful of basil leaves and coriander leaves
- A small piece of green chilli (for added heat)
- salt to taste
Combine all the ingredients together in a blender until smooth. Adjust the consistency with water if need be.
- Take a crepe and fill in the mixture in the middle and fold it from both sides inwards.
- Drizzle with the sauce on the top and serve warm.
Course 3: Nutella Phyllo Rolls with Strawberry Whipped Cream
- Phyllo sheets (available in Migros by the name Jufka )
- Nutella spread (If you have a nut allergy, use any chocolate spread or jam)
- Melted butter to spread on the phyllo sheet
- 1 pack full-fat content cream for whipping
- Icing sugar or granulated sugar for whipping with cream
- 2 cups of diced strawberries to go with the whipped cream
- 1 cup of thinly diced strawberries for garnish
- Pre-heat the oven to 200 degrees. Line a tray with baking paper.
- Cut each phyllo sheet into four rectangles and brush with melted butter
- Spread the Nutella across the long side of each piece of phyllo sheet, keeping a 2cm border and fold like a cigar or how would you roll a rice paper roll.
- line up the cigars on the baking paper and brush some melted butter and bake in the oven until light golden brown colour. Flip and bake the other side as well.
- Remove from the oven and place it carefully on the serving plate.
- Whip some cream and sugar until soft peaks and add the diced strawberries and the colour would change to a light pink colour.
- Take a spoonful of whipping cream in a spoon and shape it in between the two spoons. Serve this on the side.
- Garnish with thinly sliced strawberries. Dust icing sugar if needed.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.