Are you looking for a dish that combines nutrition with taste? Our Guest Contributor Renuka Sankaran brings you the recipe for ragi pancakes which fits your bill.
Ragi or finger millet is a well-known source of proteins and dietary fibre. It is also a rich source of calcium and iron. Ragi pancakes are simple, quick to prepare and are packed with energy and necessary nutrients. They are ideal for breakfast, mid-day snack and for your lunch box. If you want one dish that is to the liking of both kids and grown-ups, then this is it!
- 1 cup ragi flour
- 1 mashed banana
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp baking powder
- A pinch of salt
- A splash of vanilla ( optional)
- Combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl. Add water to make the batter of pouring consistency.
- Use a frying pan or a skillet to cook the pancakes. Grease the pan lightly with butter /oil. Once heated, ladle out the pancake batter.
- Flip the pancakes gently when you see bubbles on the top surface of the pancake. Cook well on both sides. Do not cover while cooking. Continue similarly with the remaining batter.
- Serve hot with butter. You can also serve them with honey, chopped nuts and fruits.
About the author
Renuka Sankaran is a mother, wife and an entomologist. She is based in Zürich. Currently, she is dividing her time between Switzerland and Finland.