It’s natural to feel excited about the holiday season and all the decorating that comes with it. It’s the only time of the year you can go all extravagant, glam and sparkly. Here are some fun ideas to create simple and budget friendly holiday vignettes you can create.
Style your Foyer
If there’s one place to make that first impression, it’s the space where your guests arrive. So, make it a lasting one! Style your entrance with elements of festive cheer and all the beauty you can muster from the moment your guests walk in. Let them know that they are in for a fabulous time because that fleeting split-second bliss they experience will carry on throughout your celebration. Here’s how:
- Add in a floor rug to cover your cold floor. You can use a thick floor runner or a small floor mat. Place a few holiday figures to greet guests upon arrival.
- Incorporate lanterns into your design and place string lights or LED candles in them.
- Print and place in a frame a few quirky Christmas artwork to display at your home’s entrance. These prints are available for free on the net or for a very low price.
Touch-up your Living Room
Your living room is already well-organised and adding a few elements can revamp it for the holiday season. Right additions to your existing configuration can make a gorgeous statement as well.
- Entwine fairy lights onto your indoor potted plants or flower vases.
- Scatter holiday vignettes on your TV console or center table.
- Fill in your clear vase with artificial snow and place little figures like Santa, reindeer or mini trees to create a centerpiece.
- Tabletop metal Christmas tree decorated with baubles lends a beautiful charm to your room. It is also perfect for small spaces as it is lightweight and easy to store.
- Mix and match your old décor elements to create a new vignette.
Kitchen – the Heart of your home
Your kitchen is most likely the busiest place in your entire house. Not to forget your friends and family extending their helping hand and where most of the ‘gupshup’ happens. So, make your guests feel welcomed and catered to with small gestures.
- A hot chocolate bar is a fun idea for parties and get-togethers. There’s nothing like a delicious, warm cup of hot chocolate around Christmas time.
- Bring those cake stands out and add in some festive elements for some instant transformation.
- Use festive hand towels near the sink.
- Use Christmas-scented hand-wash or dish soap behind the sink.
- Attach transparent twine or curling ribbons to your baubles and hang them across the kitchen window.
- Bring out those cookie tins and holiday themed storage jars and display them on your counter.
Dinner Table Setup
By sharing delicious meals with those you love and care about while soft lights twinkle and Christmas decor sparkles in the background, you can turn every meal with your family and friends into a festive feast by using your existing crockery and adding new coordinated table mats and beautiful accents.
- Your dining table is the main centerpiece. It must be festive, but not cluttered.
- You need space to serve dishes too. Keep it minimalistic.
- Use neutral coloured plates with a hint of gold for the glam quotient.
- Add a gorgeous table runner and layer it with faux leaves and place some light weight bottle brush Xmas trees and candles for a warm glow. Keep your accents below eye level so you can enjoy a good conversation without any hindrances.
- Keep the candles scent free to relish the aroma for the food served.
Spread the Cheer into your Bedroom
While the majority of the décor is concentrated around the entrance, living/dining and foyer area, the bedrooms are often left behind. So, why not infuse some festive feel into bedroom so you wake up every morning feeling your happiest best?
- Keep your bed linens basic and neutral. Throw in a pop of color with the Christmas themed cushions and a soft throw.
- Place some fragrant candles on your side table and some accents on your dresser.
- Extend the décor into your kids bedroom, too. Use giant paper fans or make one yourself and hang it up from the ceiling or windows to resemble snowflakes.
- Place bottle brush Christmas trees on the shelves and add plenty of pictures from the previous years for that nostalgic cozy feel.
- However lavish or simple your Christmas decorating style may be, I hope these ideas inspire you to bring the beauty of the season to every corner of your home. So, turn on some Christmas music and get decorating!
About the author
Rasika Krishnamurthy is a mother of 2 beautiful girls, based in Steinhausen and works in Zug. She is passionate about styling and designing special events and is known to be a creative soul with a penchant for beautiful table settings, photography and impeccable attention to detail. She recently launched her Instagram page @mydecorplugin to share her styling concepts to a larger audience and goes by the hashtag #stylingconceptsbyrasika.
Disclaimer: Photos in this column have been provided by the individuals contributing to this column. Namaste Switzerland does not undertake any financial/reputational/legal/misrepresentational impact or other obligations/liabilities that may arise from the content.