“The sky’s the limit when it comes to mixed media,” says our art contributor and illustrator Smitha Swamy. She shows us how to create personalised ‘mixed media’ artwork – a medium with no rigid rules that allows you to explore and design!
Mixed media art refers to a visual art form that combines a variety of media in a single artwork. For example, if you draw with ink, you can paint over it with watercolours, then add some highlights with coloured pencils – that’s mixed media.
Mixed media is fun because you can use: acrylics, watercolour, watercolour pencils, coloured pencils, stamps and /or ink to name a few.
To get you started with a simple mixed media project, you would need:
- Canvas/300 gsm A4 paper
- Paints- Acrylic and watercolor
- Structure paste
- Brushes/ sponge/spatula
- Embellishments/texture material
- Printed papers/newspaper cuttings
- Make a rough sketch of the design and lay it out on the paper to check the placement.
- Start adding layers of design papers/newspaper cuttings.
- After placing the photograph, try decorating the empty spaces with any embellishments you have. Get creative. You can use something from your garden, garage or from your crafts stash or pick up some stuff at the papeterie. To bring a rustic look to the whole layout use Gesso. It makes all the elements to come together.
Please check out the video:
Have a look at the final artwork I just made.
Explore and get creative and share your experience with us!
Disclaimer: Opinions and methods expressed are solely of the writer. Namaste Switzerland does not undertake any obligation or liability which may arise from the content.